Aug 21, 2008

We visited the ER again!

Red Velvet Ant

I highly recommend adding flavor to your kid's medicine if possible. I had never done this before but asked yesterday because we are having a terrible time these days with Abe taking medicine. He took this medicine with no problem. We did have to put it in a infant motrin dropper and tell him it was motrin but that is our little secret! Shhh!!
We visited the ER again. I say that like it is an amusement park or something! You know that Abe has always been one to pick up every bug and worm that he sees. He picked up this bright red fuzzy thing yesterday. We later found out it is a Red Velvet Ant. Not an ant at all, it is a wasp.

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg344.html

You can click on the link and read all about the little varmint.

Me, Abe and Talon had just gotten outside to play yesterday. Abe saw this on the ground and immediately picked it up. It stung him and he ran to me saying a fire ant just bit him. Tons of tears (both him and me) later we ended up at the ER. We called his dr. and they said to take him to the hospital. His thumb and pointer finger had been stung. When we ask him if his mouth felt funny he said yes. He is 3 years old so we were for sure if his mouth actually felt different or not. This was his first sting of any type and we weren't sure how he would react.

The Dr. told us to keep giving him benadryl and to give him a prescription steroid for 5 days. He is much better now. He even went to church last night. So, everyone watch out for these mean creatures. They are very painful. The link above lists this wasp's nickname as Cow Killer.
The common name, "cow killer," is thought to describe the painful sting these
insects can inflict to man and animals, although it is doubtful that many cows
are actually stung.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I have seen these before. Always called them fire ants myself. I'm sure Abe will remember this one next time he see one!

Loving My Life said...

I am glad that he is better!