Mar 13, 2008

ANOTHER trip to the ER


Monday night we went to Alex's Birthday Party at Bouncing B's. Abe only made it down the slide one time. With that one trip he was injured. He landed on his right side and then 2 or 3 boys landed on top of him before he could get up. I got him up and he cried and cried. I sit down with him for several minutes and thought he would get back up and want to play some more. WRONG! He couldn't quit crying. We headed home and called Chad on the way. Abe wouldn't let you touch his entire arm and he said he couldn't straighten it out. We were dealing with an injured 3 year old. So, we weren't exactly sure how bad it was.
We went to the local ER to be told it would be a 3 hour wait! OK, you can't wait 3 hours with a possible broken arm! (At this time we really didn't know.) So, we then went to M-Ville ER and were seen in less than 10 minutes! Talk about a difference. We had X-Rays and were told that he had a sprained wrist and elbow! This is when we got this little sling.
He wore the sling home and then it was time to take it off. They said he didn't have to sleep in it. Sleep, well lets just say that night we didn't get much of it! What little sleep that we got was in the recliner. The next morning Abe was still pitiful and I babied him all day. He couldn't even use the potty without help. We watched lots of cartoons, played blocks (one handed)...
Daddy returns from work that evening and it was a different story. Abe started using his hand! We kind of laughed to each other at first but then Abe said his arm was healed! Hallelujah! I know that his arm was still sore that morning but I think he played me all day! I am such a sucker.
Now, he hasn't complained at all since Tuesday. I am so thankful that it wasn't as bad as we initially thought. I had plans to follow up with an Orthopaedic (like the papers and the nurse from the ER said to) and was worrying about how long the recovery was going to be. The papers said up to 6 weeks! Thank God that he is tough and is fully healed! God is Good!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Abe is feeling better!

Leslie said...

I'm sure my boy was one of the three on top of him. Sorry if it was. you can name names, I don't mind, because I know that you KNOW exactly who it was on him!! I didn't know it was that bad and I was on you pretty bad! Sorry about that. It got pretty rowdy there. I don't have to worry about mine. His head is so hard, I know it won't get injured! And he's so clumsy that I think his bones are made of rubber!

Leanne said...

Leslie, I don't really know who all came down the slide after him. It doesn't matter. I honestly think he probably did it when he landed. He landed on the right side. It probably didn't help when the other fell on him! ha ha

I knew he was really hurt because he wouldn't stop crying and wanted to leave. Normally he would cry for a minute and get back up for more.

I know what you mean about hard heads. Abe's is so hard that he can hit one of our heads and make us see stars and it doesn't faze (spelling?) him. KIDS!!

Loving My Life said...

Oh Praise God!! So glad it wasn't broken!! He is a tough little boy!! I would be a sucker too!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes if you feed kids texas caviar it will heal their arms, or at least give them the squirts so they don't think about the arm pain anymore. No charge for the tip. Keepin it real in 08 with the Fartman1976!!!!!!!!!! Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leanne said...

Have you all figured out who the goober leaving silly comments is?

Thanks for the tip about the texas caviar! You crazy nut!